[Mageia-discuss] Xine has better sound quality than vlc, why?

Diego Bello dbello at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:46:42 CET 2013

Hi all,

Short version: why is that the Xine backend has a waaaay better sound
than the vlc backend?

Long version:
I sued VLC as backend on KDE since the Xine backend was broken when
Mageia 2 came out. Then a couple of weeks ago I tried Xine again and
it worked, which is good.

After doing that, I noticed that the sound quality was just great. I
have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card and Sennheizer headphones
because I like good sound, but I wasn't enjoying music for a while
until I switched back to Xine. The sound was not good, not good bass
or highs, but now all sounds clear and great.

Is this difference because of the actual sound engine or is it
something in phonon or something else? Has anybody else noted a
difference? Trying with laptop speakers doesn't count, of course ;)

--
Diego Bello Carreño