[Mageia-i18n] German home made problem

Catalin Florin RUSSEN cfrussen at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 10:47:31 CET 2010

> In the German team meeting we stumbled over a problem which may not
> apply to  many other languages, especially not to English: the
> difference between "you"  and "you" :)
> Meaning the way to address the readers of Mageia website, either  with
> the friend-to-friend informal "Du" (French "tu") or with the  formal
> "Sie" (French "vous").

That's because German and French languages are more complex and evolved
languages :)

> 1. On the website which is the  official presentation of the
> organisation use the formal approach.
> 2. In  the wiki, which is the community environment, use the informal
>approach.

I do not like the familiar language used by some wikis, so I'm the partisan of a
polite, warm and official language.
We want to keep people close to us, not distant! But we must avoid any 2nd
person formula (we're not "buddy - buddy"), we're a (professional) team and even
some of us are (close) friends in the official and public writings we must use
respectful addressing.

> It may sound a small thing for foreigners but it is a question  for
> Germans. How does Mageia.org want to be seen from the outside.  Pls
> keep in mind that the official website will not be read only  by
> community people but also by people who do not belong to communities
> or  are not familiar with the informal way.

I totally agree.

Best regards,
Florin Catalin RUSSEN
Romanian Translation Team