[Mageia-i18n] Suggestion for blog translation system

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Oct 6 18:03:44 CEST 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 16:15, Thorsten van Lil<tvl83 at gmx.de>  wrote:

I like the idea of having one Mageia blog, no matter what the localisation.
Sure, the main blog in English, to be localised for the various languages.
But allowing original messages in the various localisations means that
users need only follow one Mageia blog, which seems to me a big plus.

For those concerned about the source, we could tag the original messages
as "original", and those translated as "translated from English" (or the
appropriate language); of course these tags being localised.
I.e., on the French localisation, most messages would be translated from
English, thus tagged "traduit de l'anglais".  Messages originating from
the French blog would be tagged "original", those translated from
Spanish "traduit de l'espagnol", etc.
>> If there are bigger events and exhibitions with Mageia they could be announced on the blog, but also in all languages.
>>
>> For smaller local events (like user get-together) there are local community boards to advise them.
>>
> Yes, but communicating about them from the official blogs (as a
> summary or in a "by the way") would be good too (French blog "oh, btw,
> something cool's happening in Brazil" or st along the line).

Exactly.
> That's why the blogteam ml would not only to synchronise
> English->other languages, but to synchronize with each other
> events/news too.
>
> Moreover, some discussion topics may be raised in a specific locale,
> not being English. Be careful that the "official" Mageia blogs are not
> intended only for a English->{all other locales} flow. Otherwise,
> better have local communities relay blogs.
>
> That's more work, but that's something to coordonate with the
> communication team (blogteam is part of it).

It may be more work, but it's also more motivating to do it.
>> Well, I can't help myself: I like it consistent :)

There are other ways of being consistant than forcing a particular model.
> :) That's a point. I'm not into forcing anything but I would like to
> point out we should experiment things we didn't before (at mdv) and
> take into account this is an international project. Nothing prevents
> us from changing later. Other opinion?

Great idea, especially the interlocalisation translation.  Definitely
worth a try.
> Romain

- André (andre999)