[Mageia-i18n] Tools for translation

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Tue Sep 28 16:42:13 CEST 2010

2010/9/28 Lombard Marianne <marianne at tuxette.fr>

Hi,

> To choose the right tool to translate magiea and mageia sites, I propose
> you to list the differents tools you use with the advantage and
> disadvantage of them.
>
> For website, blog entry :
> I personnaly use OmegaT (http://www.omegat.org/) to translate. It can be
> used with text files and odt, have a dictionnary included and generate
> an output file in the same format than the entry files.
>
> For string in the distribution :
>

> Can you complete this ? (or perhaps must we start a wiki page somewhere,
> in order to follow easily the modification)
>
> --
> Marianne (Jehane) Lombard
> Mandriva User - Mageia french translation team
> Inside every fat girl, there is a thin girl waiting to get out (and a
> lot of chocolate) - Terry Pratchett

I personally use Lokalize or, in quite rare cases now, Kate. Lokalize has
almost all you should have in a translation program (one feature that it's
predecessor KBabel has and Lokalize doesn't, is the possibility to commit or
update SVN). Kate has, though, an advantage you can see quite a large part
of file at one time, but, of course, it is not the translation program per
se. But, if there is need to translate something else than PO, Kate is very
useful.

Marek Laane