[Mageia-i18n] [Mageia-sysadm] Request of mailing lists for i18n language teams

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:16:03 CET 2011

2011/1/6 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:

> I fear that we are not speaking of the same thing here :

Yes I see, you are right. We come from different worlds, you know? :)

> to me and in the context I use the word, moderation is seeing the queue
> of mails that are on hold, because people who sent a mail are not
> subscribed or are not authorized ( ml restricted to some group ). Ie,
> mainly spam based on my experience. ( spam and people who didn't use the
> proper email to send mail, but proposal where made for that ).

We could make it the easy way: mails from unsubscribed senders are
sent back with the proper generic information (like: So sorry, but you
are not subscribed, pls go to .... to subscribe). This should work at
least for the team mailing lists (i18n, webteam, marketing, etc.). We
may / should find a different solution for the general discuss list,
though.

> You speak of moderation like it is used on forum, blog comments or
> football stadium. For a ml, we cannot remove message after being sent,
> except from archives. So the only thing that could be requested is to
> remove someone subscription and ban him from subscribing again ( and
> break his fingers in the process, I do not believe in computer
> security :p ).

I was just talking about a moderate moderation like calling people
back to order if they go too far off topic or even in possible
flamings. Not that I think we need this, just in case. That's why I
said we do not need such extra moderators for this kind of moderation.

> We should IMHO not try to solve problem until we are sure they will
> appear. Mandriva mailling lists never required moderation ( besides
> spam ).

I think we will not need it either.

--
wobo