[Mageia-i18n] Proofreading translations - a suggestion

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Wed Jun 15 17:44:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:18:59PM +0100, Zé wrote:

>> However, I thought that if we had problems recruiting translators,
>> we could also advertise for proofreaders to join the translation
>> teams - people who are not confident enough in English to take
>> part in the actual translation, but who could proofread translated
>> files in their own language.
>>
>> As well as taking some of the pressure off the translators - and
>> reducing Oliver's workload in having to repeat the submitting of
>> corrected files - it would be a nice way for more people to be able
>> to take part in the production of Mageia.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
>Think its a good idea but regarding less populares languages will be a
>problem, as for me for example atm i dont have anyone who can
>proofread it.

Hi Zé,

Margot did address this in her initial post. Smaller language communities
will in general have a smaller pool of people to draw from, but stepping
forward as a proofreader is less of a step than stepping forward as
translator. For proofreading one has to be fluent in Portuguese, but
English skills are not required (though it does help of course). This
alone will allow more people to help us out and will hopefully improve the
quality of our translations.

Regards,

Remco