[Mageia-i18n] Transifex discussion

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Jun 19 09:51:21 CEST 2011

Hi!

написане Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:24:21 +0300, Remco Rijnders
<remco at webconquest.com>:

> Findings:
> - When uploads from .po files from svn fail, no clear error message is
> given. This makes it harder to learn what the issue with the file is.

It's polib, not Tx problem imho.

> - Translation credits are an issue still. Upstream has indicated a fix
> for   this. When can we expect to see this in our version of transifex?

The problem is not solved. The new Tx in Fedora write in copyright header
anybody who uploaded file. Now I have in co-authors any developer who
uploaded PO. ;)

> - Some unclarity exists on the integration between transifex and our
> svn   repositories. This integration is possible, but not yet configured
> for   us. An additional question is if this integration should be both
> ways or   one-way (from svn to transifex).

Once Opera Software ASA tried to use Tx 0.8 for myopera.com translation
with direct commits to Subversion. It was the worst experience I've ever
had. The system was extremely slow and crashy. Fedora have also refused to
use direct commits for the similar reason.

If it will be decided to implement this for Mageia it would be better to
test everything thoroughly on some staging server.

> - Proofreading features are missing. It is hard to see what has
> recently   changed in a project. As a result, a proofreading consists of
> the entire   .po file instead of just the changed strings.
> - tx does offer 'suggestions' instead of general comments.
> Unfortunately   they have to be browsed individually and are not easily
> searchable.

I might be wrong, but isn't filter by author in Tx 1.1 for this purpose?

> - 'diff' functionality should be available in transifex and not only
> in   svn. This would massively improve usability for us.

This is not clear for me. Is it about revision log?

If so I think this can be implemented as better filtering in Lotte for
online translation (filtering by date).

On the other hand it's sometimes hard to translate messages without
context, hence usefulness of this feature is not clear.

> - 'fuzzy' strings are emptied by transifex. Better handling of fuzzy
> strings would require less work by and confusion for translators.

Using translation tools without translation memory is as dangerous as not
making backups of important data, imho. ;)

> - More collaboration features are needed. For example, the opportunity
> to   add comments to a project and not just a string. e.g. "I have
> reviewed   the first 200 strings".

Isn't "Discussion" page in Transifex handful for this messages?

> Other wishes not directly related to transifex:
> - It would be useful that whenever a .pot file changes, a summary or
> diff   of the changes is sent to the i18n-mailinglist.

It would be good if RSS feeds are also become usable...

Best regards,
Yuri