[Mageia-i18n] Important: freeze report and reminder on the translation process

Diego Bello dbello at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:03:45 CEST 2011

2011/5/9 Rémi Verschelde <rverschelde at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
>
> First of all, you may have read on the ML mageia-dev that the freeze
> is reported to the 13th of May (instead of tomorrow, May 10th), i.e.
> on Friday.
> So, we get a little more time to finish or polish our translations and
> to commit them to the SVN, and I remind you Oliver's instructions: the
> top priority is to translate the "drakx_" projects (the projects whose
> name on Tx begins with "drakx_") and draklive-install. Those are
> projects relative to the installer and we can't modify the installer
> once the ISOs are released. The other projects may be translated later
> thanks to updates.
>
> Second, it seems that some teams don't follow the general process
> which was given for translations. Some of you begin the translation
> from scratch on Tx while 90% of the strings were already translated on
> the SVN, or import the po files from Mandriva's SVN. That is wrong.
> So, what is the general process? It has been posted here many times,
> but here it is again so that everyone can apply it:
>
> 1) When there is no translation on Tx for a project, download the
> corresponding po file on Mageia's SVN. Please be sure to download from
> Mageia's SVN and not Mandriva's, for the po files on our SVN have been
> cleaned. You can find a list of the URLs to the SVN for each project
> here: http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:transifex_list_of_projects
>
> 2) Upload the downloaded po file to Tx, as a translation for the
> corresponding project. You will see that most of the strings are
> already localised, and that you just have to translate the remaining
> ones (and maybe proofread all the strings if you have enough time).
> Here is a short guide for Tx:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:tx_short_guide
>
> 3) Once the file is fully translated, or if you don't have the time to
> finish it before the freeze, download the modified po file from Tx,
> and commit it back to Mageia's SVN. Committers are generally local
> teams leaders, so you can ask them to do it. If you don't know who
> is/are the team leader(s) for your team, please ask us here on the ML.
> Here is a guide for committers if you're not used to SVN:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:tx_commiter_guide
> (Again, you can ask here for help).
>
> I think that's it. If there is anything you don't understand or
> disagree with, please tell us. Don't start a translation from scratch
> on your own (unless Mandriva was not translated to your language, of
> course); it is a loss of time and of efficiency.
>
> Regards,
> Rémi / Akien

I'm sorry. I'm one of the ones who didn't read the first instructions,
so thanks for saying them once more. I think this is necessary when
starting a new process, specially when people like me have not too
much time to assimilate so much info :)

Now the Spanish team has almost finished its work.

Thanks again!

--
Diego Bello Carreño