[Mageia-i18n] Website to translate

mmodem00 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 11:47:47 CEST 2011

2011/5/25 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:46, Zé <mmodem00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have seen that already exists a pt dir but this its not a portuguese
>> translation, so it should not be named as pt but as pt_BR.
>> So i have moved pt files into pt_BR for the portuguese brasilian
>> translations and have added a new pt dir for the portuguese
>> translations.
>
> I reverted it a few minutes ago. As said Oliver, please do not touch a
> website content structure without discussing this first.
>
> There is a rationale behind this. We did start with a pt-br section
> and a pt section. The pt one got almost no translation/updates, so we
> agreed to merge both and have Portugueses/Brazilians discuss among
> themselves to find the best common localization; unless both teams
> grow enough to manage two distinct sections (valid for www, blog and
> maybe other things).
I im the Pt manager and translater, if you look into translation wiki
page you will see a PT team.

> Making a distinction between pt and pt-br is probably the same as
> between fr and fr-ch or fr-ca or es, es-ca, es-ar, etc. So for now, we
> focus on a single localization per main language, unless we have
> enough people to manage branches of these (zh-tw and zh-cn being a
> slightly distinct case).
No, its not the same, there are major differences, there was an
orthograpgic agreement but that was never put in pratice since
continue exist words written differently, also exist words that exist
for brasilians and that dont exist of portugueses.
If you could have a look into mandriva cooker you would have seen that
exists aspell-pt and aspell-pt_BR.
I did mailed about it to mageia ML but i was told that was a thing to
be changed after freeze, still dont get why since this its not like an
update...

> In the meantime (moving pt-br branch into pt) we kept the original
> pt-br texts, so that explains this:
>
>> also here the correct language code for portuguese brasilian would be pt_BR
>
> HTML lang attribute follows http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47 which
> specifies pt-BR but tolerates pt-br. The lowercase part is preferred
> because if ever needed, that will be used in the URL path (where
> lowercase, rather than mixed-case, is preferred as well).
>
> Now, if you would like to have pt-br and pt branches separate, have
> two teams available to manage these. Thanks.
As said above they already exist, maybe you should have checked that
before revert the changes.

So please put back the pt translation back.

Also exists a pt and pt_BR translations for the existant .po files.
And by the way i did discussed this with misc before continue the
translation work and he also agrreed that would be correct to be
pt_BR.
I think you should really have checked first before undone all the
work i have commited.
You also need to create 2 different entries in the mageia webpage, one
for Portuguese and other for Portuguese Brasilian.

--
Zé