[Mageia-i18n] [proposition] Using Translate extension on Mageia wiki
rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:59:27 CEST 2011
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 13:31, Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2011, 13:11:33 schrieb Romain d'Alverny:
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 20:27, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
>> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
>> > This extension can significantly ease up maintenance of the translations
>> > with no additional efforts to sync translations with original (automatic
>> > synchronization).
>> Actually, we didn't plan to manage l10n that way, but by having
>> distinct wiki instances per locale (wiki.mageia.org/en/,
>> wiki.mageia.org/fr/ and so on) and interwiki-link them. The same way
>> Wikipedia does it actually (and we used to at MDV as well).
>> So using this extension means a significant change in how we lay things out.
> Since I was away for a few days and had to do some presentation yesterday, I
> only now could look into this.
> Please correct me, if I'm wrong!
> If I understand this correctly, it wil kind of force syncronization between
> the en wiki and the others.
As I understand it, it gives translation progress stats between
locales and allows to translate chunks by chunks (so it's a 1-1
translation, with less freedom for a given locale to do things a bit
differently - for good and for bad).
> As I said in last i18n meeting as well as in doc team, I'd like to keep the
> more important things like
> - really important documentation
> - errata
> - information about the project
> - ...
> in sync.
That's clearly a nice feat; does it do it really with this extension?
Couldn't this be done as well with a watchdog script on a given set of
defined pages, which reports is fed into i18n web page or ml? (or even
use mediawiki page watch feature directly).
> But I do see fields in which a dezentralization is important as well,
> e.g. planning an event can be done very nicely using a wiki (like we did for
> FOSDEM 2011 or MandrivaUser.de does for some time.
Well, decoupling is not always best, but it helps
Here are issues I see with the extensions:
- non-localized URLs (instead of w.m.o/en/Home and w.m.o/fr/Accueil
(ie, localized title _in_ the URL), we would have w.m.o/Home and
w.m.o/Home/fr (English title in the URL); that's not blocking, but
that's not so good either;
- inconsistent navigation in a chosen locale (tested on the KDE Userbase wiki):
- my browser accepts French as a primary language, so content is
returned to me in French;
- I decide to look at the Spanish version of a page; fine, it
works; my intent is to navigate the Spanish-speaking pages now;
- clicking on another wiki link will forward me to the default URL,
that will be rewritten in French => back to French, where I would have
- right, digging into this, this is because those links are
prefixed such as: "Special:myLanguage/Applications" which rewrites to
- we didn't plan to setup the wiki that way *, and that's a
significant change, so either that is really important for you and it
has to be considered _now_, or it can be done differently with the
planned wiki setup.
* expected wiki setup is:
... and so on, with locale aware interwiki links (the way Wikipedia
does it). It certainly has drawbacks too. But the point is that things
get done in the end.
More information about the Mageia-i18n