[Mageia-i18n] Yet another converted page for lang files translation system

Filip Komar filip.komar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 17:57:54 CEST 2012

On 17 August 2012 15:36, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Filip Komar <filip.komar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right. If we get to have translations for pages in Catalan, we can
> reopen it - I guess I added it because there's a ca version of the
> global nav (http://nav.mageia.org/langs/ca.lang).

Hmm. I forgot about that. If you choose Catalan in nav, you still got
404. Nasty.

>> I'm afraid that I don't get this on wiki that
>> "en/about/2010-sept-announcement.html" "should not be translated, it's
>> an historical document per se - rda". It already is translated in some
>> languages. Can you please explain a bit more. What about
>> "charter.html" and "founders.html"? I think the first one is important
>> for PR. Am I wrong?
>
> The Sept. announcement has been translated in many languages, and not
> perfectly kept in sync at the time (about the list of signing people
> mostly). It won't change, ever. And it's a long, static document. So I
> wouldn't port it to a lang file format but keep it as it is. That's
> what I meant: with long documents, it may be simpler to actually
> translate it in full; but that's just my take, feel free to disagree.

I reworded "should not be translated" in wiki a bit (to "should not be
converted").
You're probably right about long documents. But we're both biased with
our knowledge of html, php and other "technical" syntax. For many
translators OTOH technology is not their strong point. But we can help
each other. For example a long html file from non-technical translator
can be validated and committed by someone who able to do it. Even
statistics in report.php is possible with link check on such file.
Maybe we should add that ability for some particular html files like
announcement for example. What do you think about that?

> founders, ...
> charter ...
> /1/ ...

I added your info in that wiki table. I also simplified it a bit.

Thank you for your time,
Filip.