[Mageia-i18n] Actions from the previous meetings

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Mon Jul 23 15:56:38 CEST 2012

написане Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:59:45 +0300, Marcello
<marcello.anni at alice.it>:

> Il 18/07/2012 09:04, Oliver Burger ha scritto:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Filip has reminded me, we have some actions to do, that were left owver
>> from the meeting mid June and I add those from yesterday's meeting as
>> well. I will first put those that were assigned to a person, then those
>> that were not assigned.
>> If an action was assigned to you, please answer giving a short report on
>> it, if you think you could do one of the unassigned ones, please feel
>> free to do so and let us know :)
>>
>> obgr_seneca (meaning me):
>> - search for misc's mail notification code and see what you can do
>> (compare to kde,...)
>> - file a bug report about not working pre-commit hooks
>> - revamp and update
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/List_of_Mageia_transifex_projects (while
>> doing that, kick tx stuff from the wiki)
>> - coordinate with doc
>> - look into weblate
>> - see about wiki translation status
>> - set up pootle test instance somewhere
>> - ask sysadmins to abandon tx
>>
>> Akien:
>> - see with atelier about more lang files (web translation)
>> - revamp and update
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/List_of_Mageia_transifex_projects (together
>> with obgr_seneca)
>> - coordinate with atelier
>> - rewrite the wiki a bit
>>
>> yurchor:
>> - write up some workflow document for usage of indifex tx (like fedora
>> does)
>>
>> unassigned:
>> - bug devs about more coordination
>> - ask fwolff about summarizing pootle
>> - ask rda about long term planing for web translations
>> - ask devs for removing unused translation files from trunk (installer
>> help,...)
>> - explore weblate and svn git bridge with auto commit
>> - describe svn workflow in the wiki
>>
>> So, that's it.
>>
>> Now we'll see, who did what :D
>>
>> Oliver
>>

> hi all,
>
> is so difficult to restore transifex? have you heard any tx developer?
> maybe someone of them could help us to resolve this issue...
>

> cheers,
> Marcello

Hi,

As it comes to revival of Transifex with no manpower from web team, then
it's time to do what I should do, "write up some workflow document for
usage of indifex tx". ;)

If we cannot maintain our instance of Pootle, Weblate or Transifex, we can
do the things like they are done for some Fedora projects.

While several projects split and use Zanata [1], most of Fedora and some
Mageia-related (system-config-printer) packages are hosted on Indifex
Transifex instance [2].

In fact, it is partially proprietary instance (proprietary components are
not used for free projects). As Indifex claims,

"We are committed to supporting open source initiatives! Open source
projects can sign up to the free plan and enjoy unlimited translations. If
you're an open-source project and need a premium account for some reason,
get in
contact with us."

All translations of Fedora Transifex-based projects are hosted on Indifex
servers (not in code repositories of VCS). They are pulled from these
servers during package creation [3]. However it is not that hard to pull
all translations from Fedora translation hub (for a language, a team, or
whole project) with one command. The translations can also be pushed with
one command (tx push).

Fedora has detailed wiki page about the translation workflow with
Transifex [4] (already mentioned on the meeting by Marek Laane).

I'm using Fedora translation system as acting Ukrainian translation team
coordinator from the time of migration, so below are some of my thoughts
about this migration.

Advantages:

1. No additional work for our Web Team.

2. No problems with pushing translations by common users (web interface).

3. Low learning curve. You can translate even from your mobile phone
without huge bills for traffic.

4. Translators friendly (should you have some problems you can contact
Indifex engineers online directly from your browser).

Disadvantages:

1. Problems on developers side (most developers tend to forget to push
their i18n changes into tx before string freezes). The migration also
needs modification of build system to pull translations during the build.

2. Problems with copyright headers of translation files (any developer or
just high-level translation coordinator becomes your co-author
automatically).

3. Lotte (online translation tool) is not very smart (or you may say that
it is sometimes too smart ;) ) and can break the results of translation
(trade-off for simplicity).

4. As it was mentioned above, some projects may not agree to use
third-party solution. This can result in somewhat like "cold war" (similar
to Zanata usage in Fedora).

Hope this helps us to make the right decision for Mageia translations.

Best regards,
Yuri

[1] https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/list
[2] https://fedora.transifex.com/projects/p/fedora/