[Mageia-i18n] [Bugzilla] [Mageia bugs reminder]

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 6 21:12:29 CEST 2012

OK, I'll have a go. TO refresh our memory, this was the message:
[quote]
Hi, you are the assignee for the following bugs for Mageia and we
would like to know whether they were assigned correctly. For each of
them: * Please change status to ASSIGNED if it is, or put OK on the
whiteboard instead. * If you don't have a clue and don't see a way to
find out, then please put NEEDHELP on the whiteboard. * Please assign
back to Bug Squad or to the correct person to solve this bug if we
were wrong to assign it to you, and explain why. * You will not be
pinged for this again, if the status is set to ASSIGNED or if the
whiteboard contains the string OK. Thanks a lot!
[/quote]

First thing I couldn't understand was the first sentence. I found it
difficult to imagine how anyone could be so certain about an assertion
which I found so absurd.

The rest of the message did little to explain what I should do about
correcting the absurd assertion. I deduced, after visiting the BUG,
that I should put "OK" on the whiteboard, so I went looking to see
what that meant and how I should achieve it. I found that a
"whiteboard" field exists in the BUG record and that it contained
"NEEDHELP". I did not immediately see how making that read "NEEDHELP
OK" would fix things so I went on looking.

The next sentence in the message quoted seemed to predict my
situation; it suggests I should put "NEEDHELP" on the whiteboard if I
hadn't a clue what to do - it seems someone got there before me, so
there is little point in tacking on another NEEDHELP.

As a third thing to do (is that in addition or instead?) the quoted
message tells me I should "assign" the bug back to the bug-squad, or
in the alternative, to the correct person (if known). The "Assigned
To" field in the bug report requires free-text entry. What is the
correct form of address to use for the bug squad?? There is also the
tempting tick-box enigmatically labelled "Reset Assignee to default".
Would that do the trick, or would that set off the time-delay fuse in
a bomb which might destroy the world?

In short - too many unknowns and not enough relevant guidance.

Richard