[Mageia-i18n] What was wrong with Transifex?

atilla ontas tarakbumba at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 20:43:08 CEST 2013

2013/4/4 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at gmail.com>

> Well, it doesn't matter if the translations are in a separate
> repository or not and I'm not sure, what it woudl mean for the devs,
> to separate them.
> The problem with tx is - or at least was - the manual work involved
> upon string changes.
>
> As an example:
> When uploading a file into tx, it parses that file and adds the
> strings into the database. When the string changes in the original pot
> (even it's only a typo), and you reupload the pot file, tx will parse
> it and see a new string and one string missing and it will act
> accordingly:
> It will remove the translations for the old string from its database
> and it will add the new untranslated string, since it can not know,
> that this was only a string change.
> So the task for us (mostly me) was:
> - Tell you not to touch certain translation resources in a certain time
> span
> - Download all files from this resource from tx
> - merge them manually with the changed po files (it couldn't be
> automated, since TX also had problems fuzzying strings correctly)
> - reupload all files to tx and tell you to check
>
> I would rather have a solution without the need to do so....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oliver

Hi again. I think most of the problems you mentioned are past day problems.
-Tx can be locked for certain resources to not accept new translations.
See: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/chakra-project/language/tr/
Resources wtih red dot mark locked.

- As i mentioned earlier even a bash script can automate pulling from tx
process on server side. İs it so hard to do? I really do not know...

- Merging should be done in tx. Say, use hourly cron job to pull from and
push to tx. Than tx should care of translations and resources merging?

- As i mentioned earlier again, i can tell tx can automatically pull
resources and transations from svn from what i read.

- Tx do not mess up translator information anymore. It has been fixed as i
know.

- For the fuzzy strings, tx still adds them into database as suggestions
and every tx translator can see and if possible use them in online
translation.
My 2 cents.