[Mageia-i18n] Missing string in mcc?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Feb 15 15:00:11 CET 2013

Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:32:19 +0200 було написано Filip Komar
<filip.komar at gmail.com>:

> Question for all especially Rémi and Oliver:
> What should we do? As this phrase (Authenticating as "%s") is common
> (visible every time when performing updates or using mcc) I think we
> should document procedure for translating and committing it (where?)
> for us in the wiki. I'm willing to do that but I don't know enough
> about that.

It is hard to answer... Mageia is a set of packages and Mageia is not an
upstream for most of them. There are two ways that can solve this:

1. Send the translation upstream.
2. Patch our packages with translations.

Yes, I know that the second way is a bad way. But when even our
maintainers refuse to update translations (hello PulseAudio) I see no
other way.

> Thanks Yuri. Now I found a bit more about that. But I'm not much less
> confused ;). It's very weird. A patch[1] for this dates way before
> Mageia. To me this seems a bug. WDYT? Should I contact pterjan (who
> seems to be a packager for it) about that?
>
> Thanks for your kind invitation to join Fedora i18n team.
> Unfortunately this is too much for me right now. But I'm willing to
> translate that *.po file. Can you submit it to that list for me?

I am not a maintainer of the translations. I am just a team coordinator.
The whole Fedora translations are separated by teams now so I cannot
commit Slovenian translations. Sorry.

This trouble can be solved in several ways:

1. You can ask Kevin Raymond (shaiton on #fedora-l10n, French coordinator
and translations maintainer) to commit the translation.
2. There are no clear obligations for Fedora coordinators to translate or
use Fedora. ;) For example, I do not use Fedora. You can just be a
coordinator until someone will decide to translate Fedora. And you can
translate (or not translate) anything you like from Fedora translations.
3. You can ask a packager to patch Mageia usermode-1.111 package with the
translation like it was before. Usermode developers release new versions
very rarely (last commit in their repo was 5 months ago) so even 1st and
2nd ways do not guarantee that the translation can be used in the near
future.