[Mageia-marketing] Consolidation of email list and forum mediums

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:29:43 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:45, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/25 Bradley D. Thornton <Bradley at northtech.us>:
>>>
>>> Forums will be implemented as well (on forums.mageia.org), it will
>>> possibly turn out that they will mostly be used by users of Mageia to
>>> find support and get together. This is the usual way. So we will need
>>> such a gateway to the mailing lists, so that forum users are able to
>>> follow mailing list discussions and we will not have the same split
>>> between the 2 worlds as at Mandriva.
>>
>> Yes this is what I was hoping would be the plan to implement.
>
> This is not a plan, these are my individual thoughts.

Just to summarize.

There is no such plan at this time. That's great that some see this as
an important point and want to help in setting this up. They are
welcome to provide such a bridge from their side (as this has been
done already, partly). Or to provide a controlled (packaged, followed)
way to install this on our side so we can consider it (but that will
take more time I guess).

But that's not our focus for now.

And for now, the main work/discussion places for contributing to
Mageia are mailing-lists, in English.

That does not prevent teams (and local subteams) to work in a separate
place, only that teams reports and decisions should happen on the
main, central channels.

And forums are not expected to be used for that (or marginally, or
locally) but to engage with other people on a different level, at a
different pace.

Our own forums (as soon as they will be up) will be in several
languages (and there are some already). So facilitating communication
won't be only a matter of crossing the gap between mailing-lists and
web-forums, but too of translating views from several locales to
English (and the other way around).

Cheers,

Romain