[Mageia-marketing] It's time to think about Mageia 2

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Mon Jun 13 12:48:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:37, Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it> wrote:
> now that mageia 1 is out i think that marketing team should think about the
> direction and actions to make for mageia 2.

Indeed! Please see and add your own (global) points to
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=brainstorm_2011 . It's important to
track the main topics there. Anne posted here a few hours ago about
the release cycle discussion on -dev and it's already getting
interesting :-)

> 1) implementation (and improvement) of mageia ideas webiste or the use
> http://ideascale.com/ (depending on manpower and features of the different
> platform)

First is, what do you want to do with it, and how? and how could this
be done (or not) with what we already have? (is it a one-time ideas
site, for the current brainstorm session, or is it a all-times-long
website?) I agree that an app like this is a great toold. But I also
know from experience that having no clear plan of what is its role and
who manages it is a sure recipe for ... misconceptions.

> 5) rethinking of artwork (i don't like it at all,

Liking is not an argument. The question with artwork is first: what
purpose/message does it serve? Does it fit or not, and why? Then, do
we have the full chain of resources to implement it (creation,
integration, updates)?

> this should be also a work of the marketing team)

If we set up an artwork/designers team, there's a good reason for it.
Collaboration is the keyword.

> and the role of marketing team beside dev team. (we can
> force dev team to implement new features?

You can't - this is a volunteer project. Although you can design,
explain, advocate features and find/gather/help devs to implement
them.

> which role do we have?)

As for giving strong directions, this is to the Council/Board to decide.

On this part (deciding on the project's directions and implementations
in other teams), the marketing team role is, at most, to provide
elements, test/proof them - and if you get a go from the Council,
advocate them, spread and help others spread them (in- and outside of
the project).

Cheers!

Romain