[Mageia-marketing] It's time to think about Mageia 2

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Mon Jun 13 17:48:24 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 15:44, Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it> wrote:
> you're totally wrong. a business plan and a marketing plan are the first things
> to be done in EVERY long-term project,

A plan is useful as long as the world it was designed in doesn't
change; and strong as long as people who can act on it support it.

> we can't attract new users and developers if it's not clear who we are and
> where we want to go, and how we want to go.

The goal is not users in themselves; growing these is a (very nice)
by-product. The goal is building things that are useful, nice and
original to us and others; while having fun, trust and pride in the
process.

> [... Skype]
> this is related to my above thought. this is not only a package request, this
> is related to our promises to the users:
>
> - We will strive for ease of use (Values)
> - Have your fully-working system up and running really fast!  (for you -
> mageia1)
> - We can make this better for developers and users. We can be a better place
> to nurture open source technologies.

How is Skype going to address these? (proprietary technology, with
debatable quality and core trust issues, notwithstanding its future
now that it's been acquired)

> anyway this is not so important because i'm working
> on a long-term vision, that doesn't needs frequent meets.

Dismissing weekly, regular points of contacts for the sake of
long-term vision is out of perspective. You will only bring ideas, not
much more, if you can't discuss, follow on what happens in day-to-day
life and build the contexts needed to make these happen.

Romain