[Mageia-marketing] Mageia product naming/scoping

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:18:55 CEST 2011

Ok, htere's a quick followup and proposal to discuss. I'll forward to
-discuss next week for further review, so please comment here and now
already. :-p

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:31, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  * Mageia 1 DVD (32 or 64bit)
>>>  * Mageia 1 dual arch CD
>>>  * Mageia 1 netinstall CD
>>>  * Mageia 1 LiveCD (32, 64bit, locale specific)
>>>  * Mageia 1 Mobile (for an equivalent to Flash)
>>>
>>> that we can explain in a download/selection page depending on the
>>> intended uses, with a set of default download made available in one
>>> click (typically, that could be the 32bit LiveCD or dualarch CD).

As I'm drafting the beta1 download page, and to prepare further stuff,
I suggest the following naming scheme:

  "Mageia 1 (tag) (arch) (flavour) (support)"

with an optional "tag", "arch" and "flavour", "support" being CD, DVD,
BlueRay or other.

As in, with "Mageia 1 beta1" plus:
 - "Live KDE CD" or "32bit Live KDE CD"
 - "32bit DVD"
 - "Dual Arch CD"
 - "Network Install CD"

ISO filenames would be, for instance, here:
 - mageia-1-live-kde-europa-cd-beta1-i586.iso
 - mageia-1-live-gnome-asia-cd-beta1-i586.iso
 - mageia-1-dvd-beta1-i586.iso
 - mageia-1-dvd-beta1-x86_64.iso
 - mageia-1-cd-dualarch.iso

Automatically built/released test ISOs could follow the same nomenclature:
 - cauldron-20110320230321-dvd-i586-qapass.iso
 - cauldron-20110320220422-dvd-x86_64-qafail.iso

That would go with the following "template"
{product}-{version}-{flavour}-{support}-{arch}-{qalabel}.iso with:
 - product = mageia or cauldron
 - version = version number or timestamp
 - flavour (optional) = here, mostly for live-gnome-asia,
live-kde-europa which could be parsed as well
 - support = cd, dvd, br, other?
 - arch = i586, x86_64, other
 - qalabel (optional) = qapass, qafail
 - all values lowercase

Now... both schemes (the "technical one" for the ISO file and the
"human rememberable one" for all the rest of us) don't match. That's
not perfect and certainly a stronger take could simplify all this.

> After a discussion with Anne (and related topic on -dev), I think we
> should hold a quick related survey about:
>  * people's perception over the advantages/preferences/disadvantages
> of LiveCDs and full installers
>  * people's perception over the separation of 100% free software
> CD/DVD (providing only our "core" media) and non-free (providing core,
> nonfree and possibly tainted, for hardware drivers for instance).

We will push for this survey after beta1 release.

Romain