[Mageia-marketing] Mageia-marketing Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8; The new Mageia user - my comments explained

suikerstroop suikerstroop at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:01:12 CEST 2011

Message: 3

> Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 23:56:53 +0200
> From: "Romain d'Alverny" <rda at mageia.org>
> To: Mageia marketing team discussion list
>        <mageia-marketing at mageia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Mageia-marketing] Mageia-marketing Digest, Vol 7, Issue
>        7; website - The average Mageia User
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 21:59, suikerstroop <suikerstroop at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> ?* NEED: a presentation section on the Web site, showcasing the
> >> product - this section does not exist already, although you will find
> >> equivalents all around the Web. Just look at some product page. Oliver
> >> and me thought of a minimalist, focused layout with ~5 pages:
> >> ?- presentation home, main message being, "this is a Linux system for
> >> people"
> >
> > Please I would like to see it changed into "It's all about the free to
> > connect." Linux is difficult to explain to people. Linux is perceived as
> > something for computer nerds.
>
> That may not be necessarily the goal of Mageia 1 to change that
> though. We're 2 weeks into the final release, building up from scratch
> a release message
>

> Anyway, could you elaborate on the "it's all about the free to
> connect" thing? I don't get the idea/meaning.
>
> I made a mistype, I do mean "it's all about the freedom to connect." I
think Mageia should be about:
- connecting >>> social media
- freedom >> co-creating
- entertainment
- usability
- the (user) experience
We have to broaden our user base. We

> >> ?- focus page for businesses (same)
> >
> > Here can we talk about social media, sharing knowledge, co-creating and
> the
> > aspect of intelllectual property rights.
>
> That's more for contributors than businesses.
>
> >> ?* NEED: redesign the download section to which above section will
> >> refer. For this, we need the final list of ISOs that will be provided,
> >> as these influence quite a lot how we will present things.
> >
> > We also need to have meta-packages.
> > especialy the following fields need our attention:
> > - multimedia on the web [codecs, HTML5, the possibility to record
> > videostreams <streamripper>
> > - social media <TweetDesk>
> > - security <privacy, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-phising>
> >
> > We need to cut the ISO-size as much as possible. The liveCD should have a
> > full desktop environment on the screen within 30 seconds.
>
> Although that's interesting, this is not the kind of need you assess
> 13 days before the final release. File bugs for Mageia 2 if you like,
> but here it's not on the list for Mageia 1.
>
> Romain
>
> I'm not a bug tester, programmer or professional software tester. But I
have tried many linux distributions. I was a great fan of Linux Mandrake, I
like YAST in the old SUSE. My biggest complaint about all these
distributions:
- virtual desktops are great
- slow loading of the desktop
- bad support of patented multimedia codecs

I thought and am thing now, Linux should be very quick operating system, low
hardware requirements. Linux should be fun to use. Get things done easily,
not difficult and frustating to use.

Greetz,

Zwikkle