[Mageia-marketing] [Mageia-artwork] Splash screens ready

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Mon Mar 12 16:00:11 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 14:34, Max Quarterpleen <bogusman222 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, you want to know more reasons? I'll give you more reasons.
> [...]
> I was sincerely hoping that we could prevent that from happening again, and
> maybe, maybe really work together this time and share the workload. And it
> appeared to be working.

Granted.

> And then Esteban showed up with a magical external solution which was very
> good,

That's one thing.

> but very bad for the teams.

That's another one. Be careful on this very bit.

It's not because you trash (would it be at this extent) a team's work,
in favor of an other one, that it is _bad_ for the team. True, it
hurts, for several reasons:
 - work accomplished may look worse than the chosen solution,
 - even worse, work accomplished may look better than the chosen solution,
 - time and sweat spent _seem_ discarded and useless.

But that may not necessarily be bad. If you recognize that there is a
gain in swapping solutions. It's better to acknowledge that, take it
and learn from it. And keep the good bits from the other proposals
that didn't make it this time. Yes, it means trashing some hard work,
some even good work, no question about it, but that's the cost to
trying, prototyping and choosing the best idea/concept/artefact for
what it is, rather than for who did it. That makes the team learning,
improving and being more demanding. That is not bad. But yes it hurts.

> I guess I failed there.

You didn't explain your decision enough; and the way you put things
seems to have been interpreted as dismissive (related to the "acting
as" bit). Here you explicited the rationale and explained that you did
not meant to be harsh, and that's better. And there's the timing point
too. Not everyone is expected to agree (as the team lead, you're here
to cut decisions too), but at least, things are more clear and precise
now. Thanks.

So what to do next? If you think there's extra time to take (yes,
artwork freeze was past Friday), maybe try to balance both solutions
again. If not, go ahead with your decision, that's fine too.