[Mageia-marketing] mageiapeople.org

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Fri Mar 23 20:54:05 CET 2012

Hi

Ok got to start my reply some where, first of all as rda put it's ok to
set up things outside the http://mageia.org website for Mageia.

However I agree with rda certain things may be good to set up outside
the http://mageia.org website as a test, and then later become part of
the official project website.

Being clear Josh's idea is to have a separate planet hosted on
http://mageiapeople.org where many users of Mageia can have their blogs
being mentioned, and possibly microblogging as well later on in a
separate section for example.  This planet would/will become rather
general, since people won't always be blogging or microblogging about
Mageia.

For blogs of Mageia developers and people like that
http://planet.mageia.org makes perfect sense.  The idea was never to
compete against http://planet.mageia.org or try to, the idea was to just
provide a different type of planet as well aimed at the Mageia users
community, people who are just users of the distribution specifically,
but contributors could also go on this planet as well.

At the moment it's just a new idea that is being tested out on
http://mageiapeople.org that may become a proper planet for Mageia users
with many blogs, and possibly some microblogging as well in a separate
section for example.

I also suggested that Josh took his idea to the Mageia discuss mailing
list and the forum.

Josh wondered before who ran http://planet.mageia.org so I checked on
IRC by chatting to Coincoin/Damien that it was indeed him, and got the
email address, and told Josh it in a previous email to this mailing
list, thinking he would email Coincoin/Damien about it.

Josh typed:
> The chances of someone single handedly starting up
> "ilovemageia.com/.org/.net" increase as Mageia's brand grows.
> Personally I think such fan sites, etc. would be good things to have
> happen but that's just my opinion.

I agree, and I think the more websites there are mentioning Mageia in a
positive way the better for the project.

I 100% agree that those kind of sites will be rather good to have for
the Mageia project usually.

I have a prime example for when a unofficial website works very well for
the project as a whole: http://omgubuntu.co.uk the most popular news and
such website for the Ubuntu project (or so I believe any way), and by a
long way.  It is also an unofficial site, it is not made as part of the
Ubuntu Community or by Canonical.  Really it was just started by a guy
who decided to start the site and so on from there. However since it's
been so popular for years, official Ubuntu Community Members have
sometimes guest posted on it, such as Jono Bacon the community manager
who is also a Canonical employee and Jorge Castro from his community
team at Canonical, and Daniel Holbach who I think may also be from it,
and that is a Ubuntu Community Member.

Official Ubuntu Community Members as far as I know will still post on
http://omgubuntu.co.uk sometimes as well.

They have also had people such as Seif Lofty the Zeitgeist developer
blogging on it for example. I think he is a Ubuntu Community Member as
well, but not sure.

So yes the website is unofficial, but it works very much so for
Canonical's advantage, and the Ubuntu Community as a whole, however
let's be clear about that again it's not an official Canonical or Ubuntu
Community website. The official Ubuntu blogs or kind of thing, would be
the ones from Ubuntu Community Members shown in their planet:
http://planet.ubuntu.com

Do Ubuntu have a planet for users of the distro? Well no not that I know
of, but they don't really need to either, because there are loads of
blogs out there that tend to mention it, and the most popular ones are
already known about by many people.

Josh's idea of having a separate planet for just users
http://mageiapeople.org whilst still also having the more official
planet http://planet.mageia.org as well, I think as a community building
minded person is an absolutely great idea.

Yes ok so if it's on http://mageiapeople.org it won't be seen as being
that official probably, but that's good for such a planet with loads of
blogs that will be mentioning quite a lot of other stuff at times as
well, not just Mageia.

The blogs that are mentioned on http://planet.mageia.org should be
mainly mentioning Mageia, but for Josh's http://mageiapeople.org idea
things will be much more general.

As members of the marketing team it is our responsibility to help gain
interest in the Mageia project, and yes to some extent Josh's
http://mageiapeople.org idea will help to do this.

 From Sebastian sebsebseb