[Mageia-marketing] Installer images

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Sun Mar 25 22:17:33 CEST 2012

> We have 5 texts, but some people mostly me) are unhappy with them. I
> think that there should be more of an emphasis on the unique qualities
> of Mageia rather than pointing out all of the things that we do just
> like any other Linux distro.
> The current texts are:
>
> 1. Mageia isn't just a Linux distribution: we're a community of
>   users, developers and advocates from around the world.
>
> 2. Free software means choice: KDE,  GNOME, LXDE or other desktops;
>   Firefox, Chromium and other browsers;  Thunderbird, KMail, Evolution
>   for mail...
>
> 3. Mageia covers your graphics, your video creation and editing needs
>   with tools like GIMP, Inkscape,  Blender...
>
> 4. Mageia's Control Center gives you easy-access tools to set up
>   your hardware, software and more, all in one place.
>
> 5. For your everyday and office needs, LibreOffice, GnuCash,
>   KMyMoney and others cover word processing, spreadsheets,
>   presentations and finance.
>
> So that means that I'm happy with 1 and 4, but less happy with the
> other three.
> Maybe if it was the other way around: 3 texts describing the
> uniqueness of Mageia and 2 describing other things. Or better yet, 4
> or 5 texts describing the uniqueness of Mageia, but I know that that
> is less likely and less easy.

I agree with Max, it would be a good idea to focus more in those
installer text's on what makes Mageia different from lots of other
distro's. 1 and 4 are good, but I know with some effort from many of us
as a team we could have something much better for the others.

I went to my first LUG meeting yesterday that was fun :). I talked to
some people about Mageia, someone in particular and he asked me what
made Mageia different from other distro's and that kind of thing.  He
was also interested in what software it could run, that it could run
Eclipse I think it was for example. I told him that it could, and I
basically said something about how most distro's run most of the same
kind of software, because of something called upstream, who make the
original projects such as Gnome, KDE, and Firefox.

Any way he also wondered what made Mageia unique why it should be used
over other distro's and that kind of thing. I told him how it was a 100%
community distro with a non profit organisation behind it, with everyone
being a volunteer. I also explained that it was a fork of Mandriva and
told him what a fork is.  When it came to the distro itself and what
made it unique over many other distro's I didn't really have much to say
at all, other than that it has a nice graphical control centre.

I gave away most of the Mageia 1 CD's yesterday to 7 or so people :),
that I came back with from FOSDEM 2012 at the LUG. I gave most people
two CD's KDE and Gnome. One or two or so people only got a KDE CD,
because I had more of those. The last Gnome CD went to a person who
would have rather had Gnome than KDE, but he got given a KDE as well.
Even gave a Gnome and a KDE away to the taxi driver who took me there,
we were talking about stuff, and he was saying how he had some Windows
issues and so on. Three KDE CD's left that I would like to give away to
other people at the LUG hopefully. Keeping two KDE's and Gnome's for
myself that I came back with from FOSDEM 2012 :).

Any way going back to installer slide show images, let's take Ubuntu for
example again. With Ubuntu they tell some of the users what software can
be run in the slide show, such as Firefox and LibreOffice, but they also
mention what is special to Ubuntu, for example the free cloud space on
Ubuntu One, and the software centre, and music store.

 From a end user point of view, really what does make Mageia special
when compared to many other distro's?  Well yes the control centre, but
really is there anything else as well?

The control centre I think is rather good and most distro's lack this
kind of thing, but Mandriva has the control centre of course as well,
and all of the distro's based on it I think have it

There's a distro called Unity Linux which has nothing to do with
Canonical's/Ubuntu's Unity. It's based on Mandriva and is more of a
distribution builder distro with many other distributions based on it,
but I assume they all have the control centre as well for example.

On the subject of being unique I recently remembered a little while ago,
how in the past there was something about how in  the future Mageia
would do something that would make it rather unique over other distro's.

 From Sebastian sebsebseb