[Mageia-marketing] Installer images

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Tue Mar 27 09:51:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 01:51, loqo <hoverflydesign at googlemail.com> wrote:
> "Mageia is developed by a not-for-profit organisation"
>
> (specifically don't say "non-profit" as it dilutes the meaning and sounds
> like a business failure)

"not-for-profit" is usually related to an activity, "nonprofit" to an
organization. It does not dilute the meaning, it is the meaning.

> This aspect of Mageia is what separates it from Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu and
> others. They *DO* care about profit, even if their Linux is free. It colours
> their thinking and motives.

And?

>> - Mageia Community : explain that Mageia is built by a community, and
>>   that people can join and help in different teams. List of teams and
>>   short description of what they do, etc ...
>
> "By installing Mageia ('using Mageia' on the live CD), you are ALREADY a
> valuable part of the community!"
>
> (Give users a feeling of importance)
> [...]
> "Here's how you can join in"

Are they part of the community already (above), or they have an extra
step to join? :)

> Mention forums, teams, IRC, planets, Twitter, etc. here. Get traffic coming
> to the community.

 Remember these are small, quick & distracting screens (the user is
waiting for the system to be ready). So the info on each of these has
to be big, short and obvious to read.

> *Mention Mandriva sparingly. It's important to understand Mageia's heritage
> but we need to build an identity beyond Mandrake/Mandriva.

Don't mention it at all. It's not the place. And the guy is installing
Mageia already.

(btw, speaking of a sound scheme, a "wake up" sound event at the end
of the install process could be nice => Mageia 3)