[Mageia-marketing] Other ideas

Josh King (dotmil) josh at linuxpunks.com
Fri Mar 30 13:14:01 CEST 2012

On 03/30/2012 02:59 AM, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 04:51, Josh King (dotmil)<josh at linuxpunks.com>  wrote:
>> What I do have is some ideas I would like feedback and comments on before we
>> have another mageiapeople.org fiasco.
>
> Why do you call it a fiasco?

Ok poor choice of words. I've spent 2 weeks now trying to track down who
has responsibility to the planet with no luck yet. Everyone points at
everyone else. Without the moonmoon admin credentials there's not much
that can be done. The planetmagiea site was running in under 5 hours
with 4 colaborators.

>> 1) a newsletter [...]
>> 2) A Mageia news site. [...]
>
> To be short; these are good ideas;
>
>   * on the _content_:
>     - we considered (and started) interviews on the blog, several
> months ago (see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Marketing_interviews ) but
> it didn't live through, but it's still free to pick up by someone to
> relist people to interview and actually do/write/review/publish these
> on the blog.
>     - howtos: you should ping documentation team, as they may have
> ideas and articles already ready for that kind of thing.
>     - there used to be summaries of what happened on the mailing-lists,
> in the Mandriva era (IIRC, awilliamson, ofaurax's "jus de cuisson" and
> many other contributors). Not sure about now.

I'd even be willing to write there Ala Debian's newsletter if needed to
get things started.

>   * on the _format_:
>     - I'd skip the mail newsletter format; it's a one-way, one-time
> publication that stays in a inbox; and it's highly coupled to a list
> of subscribers to maintain; a blog, a magazine, a planet, publish it
> in a more interactive way, without controlled subscription, and keep
> it online and referenced for years;

Agree, the newsletter was my last choice as well.

>     - the news site: let's see what we can do with a Planet platform to
> render blogs like that first; if that's not concluding an experience,
> and if you can find the right platform and people to set it up and
> maintain it as a news site, then why not.

Sounds good. If I can get an answer from anyone involved with the planet
site currently I'd be more than happy to take it over. I also have a
server provider willing to help with a bit of minor advertising on the
site. Do you know anyone else besides who has previously been suggested
that may know the admin credentials to the planet?

I's just like to see more of a web based ecosystem for Mga2, As it is,
there;s the official sites, the language specific sites, and not much
more. More websites unfortunately seems to generate more buzz.