[Mageia-sysadm] [398] install iurt on main node as well, for scheduler tools

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Dec 1 17:52:28 CET 2010

Le lundi 22 novembre 2010 à 21:44 +0100, Olivier Blin a écrit :
> Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> writes:

> >> I'm not sure a virtual package in the repository is the best tool to
> >> manage the list of packages that needs to be installed on the build
> >> system.
> >
> > Then why are we restoring task-bs-cluster-main?
>
> I think a package is also a good tool to manage package BS deps, we
> benefit from all the conditional requirements, conflicts, virtual
> packages, and etc from rpm

So i digged a little bit for this :

- conditional requirement -> this can be done in puppet as well ( using
conditionals ).
- conflict =>  we can use " ensure => absent" to make sure a package is
not there
- virtual packages.
Indeed, this is a weak point of puppet, we need to take ( for example )
architecture and version in account. Yet, i think we can solve it ( even
if this is not as elegant as letting ) without touching puppet, or maybe
by patching puppet to be more virtual-name friendly in the future.
- etc, I didn't found, but I guess we can add
  - ability to add a requires a Provides, which would indeed be the same
as virtual packages.

In the mean time, I have also took a look at the rpm pulled by
task-bs-cluster-chroot :

task-bs-cluster-chroot
   task-bs-common
      basesystem
      urpmi
      cfengine-cfagent
      openssh-server
      sshd-monitor
      openldap-clients
      nss_ldap
      pam_ldap
      nscd
      sudo
      zsh
      nail
      ntp
      smartmontools
      perl-Image-Size
   autofs
   nfs-utils-clients
   mdv-youri-submit
   mdv-distrib-tools
   mkcd
   perl-File-NCopy
   perl-Filesys-Df
   perl-MIME-tools
   perl-RPM4
   rpmmon
   repsys
   mdvsys
   icecream
   postfix
   db42-utils
   db4-utils >= 4.6
   rpmlint
   rpmlint-mandriva-policy

So here is some sorting :
urpmi, basesystem, cfengine-cfagent, mdvsys, rpmlint,
rpmlint-mandriva-policy, zsh are not needed on a pure buildhost. Well,
urpmi and basesystem are already here in fact. And I hope that we
finally got ride of the zsh script of chmouel :)

openssh-server, nss_ldap, pam_ldap, nscd, sudo, sshd-monitor, ntp, nail,
postfix, openldap-clients are already handled by puppet ( ssh is
monitored by puppet with Service )

smartmontools and icecream should be converted to puppet module.

i am not sure that rpmmon work or is really needed. I remeber having
seems it being used at iurt.

autofs, nfs-utils-clients. I do not think autofs will be useful, and for
nfs-utils-client, we can use the mount type, and indeed add a requires
on it, since it seems iurt need nfs.

This let us with the following packages :

   perl-File-NCopy
   perl-Filesys-Df
   perl-MIME-tools
   perl-RPM4
   perl-Image-Size

I assume these are needed for some script. However, since there was lots
of cruft, I would be in favor of :
- removing them, see what break, add those that are required

   db42-utils
   db4-utils >= 4.6
I also assume this was needed by some iurt hack, that blino removed
( not sure ). Again, maybe we can remove this ?

   mdv-youri-submit
   mkcd
   repsys

I am doubtful they are used on a pure buildhost. So maybe we can remove
them ? If they are needed because they provides some perl modules, they
will be pulled by the packages anyway.

   mdv-distrib-tools
contain a perl module and a executable. I do not exactly what it does,
but I am pretty sure it is used on the main mirror, not on buildhost.
So we could likely remove it too.

So, while I do not intend to remove them right now ( at least, not while
blino is still setting everything ), does people see something wrong in
the list ?

Aka, stop requiring everything, convert icecream, smartmontools and
nfs-utils to proper modules.