[Mageia-sysadm] forum deployment, vm naming

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Dec 10 16:46:37 CET 2010

Hi,

so today, ennael, boklm and me had a meeting with people from mandriva
linux online, who offered us to host the forum on a server, offered by
nfrance ( http://www.nfrance.com/ ) in south of france. The meeting was
in french
( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2010/mageia-meeting.2010-12-10-13.35.html ), so let me translate the conclusion for all our non french reader.

People presents :
 misc, boklm, for mageia sysadm
 ennael, whiping us
 maat, ashledombos, in charge of forum setup
 daax, enzolyte, for mlo

The main issue is the server would be used for our forum, and for their
website ( with french forum too ).

Following the discussion at the founder meeting
( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2010/mageia-meeting.2010-11-22-19.19.log.html#l-193 ), we discussed with them to see how we could separate the two in a way that would ensure respecting our standard of privacy and operation procedure ( ie, not let anybody read ldap, and manage it our way ), while still let them be independent of us ( ie, be root ).

The obvious idea, given the fact the server seems to be a new one, is to
use separate VMs. The main problem is the lack of ip address, there is
just one.
( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2010/mageia-meeting.2010-12-06-19.06.log.html#l-110 ).

So the idea proposed was :
- VM mageia, running our forum, managed like any of our servers
( puppet, sysadmin team, PLF protection, etc )

- VM mlo, managed by MLO
- others vm ( as we discovered that other projects were planned )

- host, running a reverse apache proxy.

Question was "who manage the host".

After some discussions, we came to the conclusion that :

- the host would be managed by xkomodor, nfrance CTO, member of MLO

- I take care of the integration of the vm in our puppet setup ( basic
integration, ie, just a naked server )

- daax ( mlo sysadmin ) take care of setting up the vms for them and us

- daax/maat subscribe to webteam and sysadm, to communicate with us

- maat describe the forum setup, and see with webteam and us to deploy
it

So we will likely have a new server to manage soon.
This basically mean naming it. Since it worked well last time
( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-sysadm/2010-October/000023.html ), let do the same, and so :
- the last server was champagne, and this was severine who named it,
without giving the successor name.

Severine, can you give the name of a sysadmin from this list :
blino, buchan, nanardon
( the others already named a server )

Besides this, anyone has some remarks ?

I am still waiting information on the technology used for vm, or memory,
cpu, so I do not have much to say.

But I wonder if we need to have special requirements regarding :
- the disk layout ( ie, lvm + ext4 sound sufficient )
- the type of kernel to use ( if that matter )
- any requirements regarding the virtualisation layer
I also assume that we will need a 64 bits kernel and userspace.