[Mageia-sysadm] Packages SVN

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Wed Nov 3 21:25:56 CET 2010

Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> writes:

>> > For data ( icones, theme, images ), we can simply put them outside of
>> > the svn, like we plan to do for tarballs.
>>
>> The plan is to put tarballs in an additional SVN, right?
>> We still have to deal with that.
>
> I tought the plan was to place the tarball outside of a VCS, ie either
> download it on demand, or placed in a cache. So we could simply remove
> them from the cache when needed.
>
> Now, maybe I misunderstood the new system, so could you explain what it
> will be ?

I didn't go much in details in the repsys doc boklm sent in the initial
message of this thread, but IIRC, it mentionned having a SVN repo for
SOURCES-bin

>> IHMO, we shouldn't take the risk of hosting Mandriva material, even if
>> this will slow down the process.
>
> We would not be more at fault than plf.zarb.org or any mirrors on that
> regard ( especially mirrors ). And they could hardly say "using our GPL
> software is a violation of our trademark" without being inconsistent on
> that matter, and they didn't protect their mark .

Using their free software is ok, but using it by keeping their brand
is probably not.

> Hence my request for a specialized lawyer for the non visible cases, and
> see what would be considered as a fair use based on existing judgement.

Agreed

> While I agree that we should of course not use the name Mandriva in a
> very visible way ( since this is not a method ), having it in the svn
> for a non released software is likely less a problem.
>
> For example, based on the only similar case of people who have been
> really sued and lost I can think of ( ie mandrake ), there is still case
> where Mandrake word is displayed :

[...]

> They have likely contacted a lawyer ( at least, I hope so, even if we
> cannot be sure ), and based on that decided that this were fair use of
> the trademark ( at least, the lawyer of the opposite party did ).
>
> Or maybe they are just careless or too busy, given the problem in
> FAQ :/

I think that Hearst was more concerned about the company and product
names (as well as images), it was probably not very cost-effective for
them to push too much in details.
But in our case, we are operating in the same market as Mandriva, and
they could get very picky.

--
Olivier Blin - blino