[Mageia-sysadm] install of a websvn on svn server ?

Dexter Morgan dmorganec at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:29:56 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Michael scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 02:31:06PM +0100, Dexter Morgan wrote:
>
>> can you tell some other alternatives ? so we can take a look to them
>> and choose the one that fit the more our needs.
>
> We should maybe start by explicting the needs ?
>
> I can propose some :
>
> - must be able to enumerate distant svn ( unless we place it on valstar
> , and I think we shouldn't for security reasons, as this is the
> server that old all passwords and the future gpg key of
> the distribution, among others, so it should IMHO be kept free
> of interaction with internet as much as possible  )

Of course, i was thinking to add it on alamut or krampouezh

> - must be able to cope with big repository ( as Mandriva still suffer from
> problem when looking at the svn for packages ). The patch for directory
> limitation seems to have applied and lost on the viewvc we used ( one
> more reason to use rpm of the distribution and to push patch upstream )

I think that here the main pb is that not a lot of that kind of tools
are used on big repos, so we may have
"surprises" when used.

> - must not be a ressources hog ( as it will likely be indexed sooner
> or later by Google or a search engine, even if we can suppose
> that robots.txt will be used to prevent that ). This also exclude
> all setup based on basic CGI, for well know performance reasons.

how to know this ? is there some benchmark like tests ?

> - must be maintained, packaged, without a history full of security hole
> that would make Berlin wall look rock solid in comparaison.

makes sense

> - do we plan to host git repository ? It seems so ( we did at mandriva,
> and I think a growing number of contributers will want it ). Others
> SCMs ? I do not know, but we should ask. ( but I never seen people asking
> for bzr and hg hosting, maybe nanar for darcs ). We can also say this is
> not the goal of this tool, as we did fr mdv.

for git this is an other story i think, that we will discuss on an
other story and btw having a git repo is i think a must have.

> - must be easy to theme
> - should be without recompiling the whole rpm
> - should not need to copy the css ( ie, take a distant one, as this
> will ease the job of the webteam and help on perfs )
>
> - should support ACLs. While we do not need for the moment, but
> this may be a need that will arise for the secteam or for keeping password
> ( see my previous mail about it for extlookup, puppet and so one ).

i was just speaking of a websvn like, just a tool to "see" the svn not
to modify it.