[Mageia-sysadm] password and puppet

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Nov 5 00:20:05 CET 2010

Hi,

as those who carefully read all commit have noted, I have used extlookup
( as planned ) to store the password outside of svn.

For now, the passwords are in /etc/puppet/extdata/common.csv, on
valstar. The format is :
name_of_the_password,password

To get the password, in a puppet manifest, just use :

$password = extlookup('name_of_the_password')

and then use $password in template or in the manifest ( variable from
the manifest can be used directly in the templates ).
Look at the catdap module to see how I did it.
You can also look at
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/2.6.1/function.html#extlookup
( and on the web ).

The file is read protected by puppet in valstar config.

However, there is no back up, and no auditing of change. Therefore, I
propose to use some private git/svn for this, any idea or remark ?

( I would also suggest to send mail on commit without the diff, as
knowing we have added a password is not critical, the content is the
only thing important  ).

WDYT ?