[Mageia-sysadm] Installing firewall

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Tue Nov 16 07:43:19 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 08:23:11PM +0100, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>I don't want to say NFS is wonderfull, but being able launch "rpm -Uvh
>libfoo*.rpm" saved my life so many time I really think having the tree
>provided by NFS would be an advantage (even ro).

nfs and automounter are an evil plan from sun to drive system
administrator insane :)

that said there is nothing better than that for sharing resources, and
if thet are correctly configured they work flawlessly.

>About the firewall part, why not simply allowing everything from ours IP
>(the 4 or 5 servers we have) ?
>I don't imagine this would be more risky than having php on our
>server...

i have a similar setup, where my frontend mail/web servers are hosted in
a dc, in order to secure communication between those i just did:

/etc/ipsec.conf
spdadd X.Y.W.1 X.Y.W.2 any -P in ipsec
         esp/transport//require
         ah/transport//require;

spdadd X.Y.W.1 X.Y.W.2 any -P in ipsec
         esp/transport//require
         ah/transport//require;

/etc/racoon/psk
X.Y.W.1 this_very_secret_string_you_no_guess
X.Y.W.2 this_very_secret_string_you_no_guess

/etc/shorewall/zones
loc     ipsec   mode=transport

/etc/shorewall/policy
fw      loc     ACCEPT
loc     fw      ACCEPT
net     loc     NONE
loc     net     NONE

now i am sure that each host cannot be spoofed or intercepted.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it