[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Tue Oct 26 14:35:04 CEST 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Olivier Thauvin wrote:

> May I also suggest all our web be installed using RPM ?

I am not sure RPM is the best tool to manage web applications in our
case, especially for the ones that change often :
 - it requires root permissions to be updated (or giving sudo access to
   update the rpm, but this is equivalent to giving root access), and we
   probably want the web team to be able to update some web applications
   by themself.
 - sometimes we may need to have different versions of the same
   applications installed in different paths (one for testing, one for
   production for instance. Or if we need different blogs or wiki
   instances)

For some web applications it won't be a problem to use an RPM, but for
others maybe not.

Nicolas