[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:43:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 14:35, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>
>> May I also suggest all our web be installed using RPM ?
>
> I am not sure RPM is the best tool to manage web applications in our
> case, especially for the ones that change often :
>  - it requires root permissions to be updated (or giving sudo access to
>   update the rpm, but this is equivalent to giving root access), and we
>   probably want the web team to be able to update some web applications
>   by themself.
>  - sometimes we may need to have different versions of the same
>   applications installed in different paths (one for testing, one for
>   production for instance. Or if we need different blogs or wiki
>   instances)
>
> For some web applications it won't be a problem to use an RPM, but for
> others maybe not.

I second that. Managing web apps is more likely to happen as:
 * dev/test on local machines, by anyone
 * commit/deploy/validate to staging server, triggered by anyone on the team,
 * commit/deploy on production server, triggered by any webmaster.

So svn/git/rsync (or such tools) will be used. RPM is not really a
practicable option here, but maybe for very specific apps that will
not be retouched at all.

Romain