[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Tue Oct 26 16:06:41 CEST 2010

* Romain d'Alverny (rdalverny at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 15:23, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Sysadm. Per request of webteam.
>
> > - setup of infrastructure ( ie apache module)
>
> Sysadm. Per request of webteam.
>
> > - who is in charge of securing
> >  - the servers
> >  - each applications
>
> Both. Server security is going to be affected by application security
> and this is the webteam role to control that part. And to assume/fix
> potential issues.

From the experience I had with epoll, seting-up the application were
complicated in past due by the lack of dependencies in the rpm or on
perl side.
Epoll need a lot of perl module, mainly because Catalyst is splitted in
several part.

I solved the issue since (on both perl side and rpm side).

Since you prefer to not using rpm, the work to setup such application
get more complicated, especially if the sys admin don't know perl (in
this case, the same apply to php apps, python, etc...).

I don't like the "svn snapshot" way for officially in use web apps. It
works for testing the devel version, but I'd really hope anyone
working on web apps is able to have a clear roadmap and managing branch
for quick security fixes.
And since you have a stable branch and a devel one, you are able to
quickly redo a rpm.

Or are we assuming Mageia will not be able to provide security fixes as
rpm for anyone using the distribution and so we prefer ourself to bypass
them ?

BTW: who is the webteam ? Does CatDap (Buchan's apps) and MGA::Mirrors
(mine) make us entering in webteam ? Is the Bs part of webteam works ?

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS