[Mageia-sysadm] [LONG] A not so modest proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Oct 26 19:46:52 CEST 2010

Le mardi 26 octobre 2010 à 17:41 +0200, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:
>

> > So, WDYT ?
> > ( please do not let me be warnocked
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnocked )
>
> I agree with your email. I think that if nobody is against this, we can
> go with this.
>
> First we need the basic puppet config and organisation, to let different
> people start working on some services.
>
> I created the directory svn+ssh://svn.mageia.org/svn/adm/puppet. In this
> directory we have the subdirectory "manifests" to be checked out in
> /etc/puppet/manifests and "modules" to be checked out in
> /etc/puppet/modules.

Ok so I setup /etc/puppet/ to auto extracted from this svn each 5
minutes. I have added the cronjob in puppet, as well as the key of
severine, and a basic openssh module.

For people who want to commit, connect on krampouezh.mageia.org, create
yourself a account ( until we migrate to ldap for this ) and you can
then checkout/commit on it.

We will need to add the ntp setup, some MTA, ( maybe the timezone so we
will not have issue for the next server ) and then once we have a basic
MTA, a svn hook to send commit mail here.

Again, if you have any question, do not hesitate.

> Do you know any good puppet configuration examples ?
> This one is interesting :
> http://www.example42.com/puppet/browseinfrastructures.php

I used a too complex setup with numerous empty directory, so I guess no,
I only found bad example :p
To me, the current one ( manifests for the configure file, and modules/
for modules ) is fine at the moment.

I suggest that we first become used to puppet and then decide how to
split, if needed.

I like the idea of having a directory nodes, with one file per node, and
for the rest, I do not think it is worth the added complexity at the
moment.