[Mageia-sysadm] ARM port and BuildSystem

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Apr 4 19:44:25 CEST 2011

Hello,

There was some discussions at last council meeting about making ARM an
official port, and adding ARM machines in the build system :
http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2011/mageia-meeting.2011-03-28-18.33.log.html#l-381

Rtp has been working on a Mageia ARM port for some time, and I think he
plans to have something useable soon, maybe for Mageia 1st release.
After asking to rtp, a machine we could use for building packages on
ARM is OpenRD :
http://newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=9
It costs around £203.00 or 230 euros (+ shipping). So I think that's not
very expensive.

However, this machine is a lot slower than the x86_64 build servers we
have, so building big packages like LibreOffice will take much more
time. And if we don't want to slow down all the buildsystem, maybe we
should make the successufl ARM build not mandatory to upload packages on
x86_64 and i586. So this require some changes in the BS. But I think
it's something that can be done.

What do you think about this ?