[Mageia-sysadm] list of things to do in sysadmin

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Apr 8 11:03:29 CEST 2011

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011, Dexter Morgan wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:02 AM, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> > And other things :
> >
> > - setup wiki
> > - setup pastebin
> > - create tool to save and share passwords http://is.gd/KDtys0
> > - finish setup of git repositories. Decide which tools to use to manage
> >  git repositories (or create our tools to do it).
>
> I don't see the need to create one, as i see 2  tools gitorious and
> redmine ( and/or the fork ).

First we need to check if it's doing what we want. And check that we
all agree on what it should do. I didn't look in details, but :
 - I think gitorious allows anybody to create his own repositories. But
   I think what we want is shared repositories, and I don't know if we
   want to host personal ones too.
 - We need to see how we manage commit permissions. We probably want to
   use ldap groups for this, I don't know if it's possible with
   gitorious/redmine
 - gitorious or redmine include wikis, forums, bug tracker. Maybe we
   don't want that, so we should be able to disable them.
 - We probably want to add pre-commit/post-commit scripts to send emails
   or do other things. It's probably possible to add them automatically
   for every repository if we create them using puppet. I don't know if
   that's possible with gitorious/redmine.
 - if we host git repositories on valstar, we want to avoid hosting web
   interface on valstar too, so we should check if it's possible with
   gitorious/redmine
 - if we only use this tool to create new repositories and have a web
   interface to show commits but use none of the advanced features of
   gitorious/redmine, maybe a few scripts in puppet and gitweb is more
   simple than customising gitorious/redmine to do exactly what we want.

So someone needs to see exactly what is needed, with people that will use
the repositories, and look at all available tools to be able to decide
what we should use.