[Mageia-sysadm] [435] Fix typo

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:30:50 CET 2011

On 7 February 2011 17:14, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>> > Fix typo
>>
>> sorry but you've asked for comments so you'll got them :-)
>>
>> we've a tool named perl_checker (the one that also regenerate po/*.pot
>> in drakx module)
>
> Well, what has "regenerating pot file" has anything to do with
> perl_checker ? This doesn't seems very intuitive.

The point here is "perl_checker as commit validator", not
"perl_checker as pot generator"

But to answer you, we used perl_checker in order to generate the catalogs:
- in the old days, gettext support for perl was poor
  (and I'm not sure it's currently able to extract strings from .xs files yet)
- we added support for plural strings that xgettext didn't handle
- as bonus, this enabled us to have another way to catch errors
- perl_checker found errors in translatable strings that xgettext
didn't found out
- ...

Basically, perl_checker:
- enforce some style on the code
- found out many many subtle (or not so subtle) errors
- find dead code, ...
- also is able to extract translatable strings into a .pot catalog

Also systematically run it before committing did increased our quality.