[Mageia-sysadm] new group created in ldap

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:27:25 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:33, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le vendredi 11 février 2011 00:32:55, Michael Scherer a écrit :
>> Le jeudi 10 février 2011 à 23:26 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
>> > Has the concept of "founders" still a meaning now that we have a board
>> > and team council representatives ? I thought the "founders" were only a
>> > temporary group meant to let place to the council and the board.
>>
>> According to statutes, yes :
>> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mageia_org_statutes
>> See article 6.
>>
>> And according to Article 12, the founders are part of the assembly, no
>> matter their statutes ( from my understanding ). This is not clear if a
>> founder moved to the status of honor member ( article 6, again ) must be
>> present to the assembly or not.

No must here. When one moves to the honor member, she gets to a
consultative voice and her presence is not required, neither counted,
in assemblies. It does not matter whether she was a founding member or
not.

> Except if there is a legal reason for that, I don' understand why there's such
> a distinction between founder members and active members. To me, this is
> exactly the same thing, the founders being just the first active members.

Yes. Just a grain of salt. There are two views at least:
 - the historical/archived one; although it's not a matter of
misplaced pride, it matters to know who started the whole thing (not
because others could not, but because it's how things happened);
rather a honorific title or historical one, nothing much more;
 - the practical one; founder members are the first active members of
the association and were, without much plan first, the first council;
other than that, they have no specific, unique role within the
association and the project.

If there were two groups in ldap "founders" and "active members",
founders people would belong to both, that's all. Now, is that useful
to store it in LDAP, I don't know, but it does not harm much I guess.

> Now that I read the statuses, I see that in pratice, founders have no different
> practical role than active members. Then I still maintain I don't see what the
> distinction between founders and active members is for.

I would say, for archives only.

It doesn't provide more authority as time goes by (especially as the
Council grows more and more out of team representatives instead of
only past founders and as some active members, founders included, move
to something else).

(Indeed, this could be said in an other list, provided statutes were
not understood that way)

Romain