[Mageia-sysadm] [1010] add vhost for static.mageia.org

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 19:33:53 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 19:15, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:46:37 +0100 (CET), root at mageia.org wrote:
>> +       # We should be able to define this path on each host.
>> +       # Maybe using Facter ?
>> +       $webdatadir = '/srv/web1-dd0/www'
>
> This path is ugly and really do not help much to know what is there.
> What is wrong with the /var/www we used everywhere ?

It dates back to September IIRC.

I don't know how it could be handled, but web1-dd0 is not a simple
path in the filesystem, but the name of a (virtual) disk attached to
the virtual host (Gandi hosting). If we add more disks over there,
it's not to name these as file system items.

But a better naming scheme is totally possible.

>> +    # vhost to host static files used by web sites
>> +    class static inherits base {
>> +        $vhostdir = "$webdatadir/static.$domain"
>> +       $svn_location = "svn://svn.$domain/svn/web/www/trunk/g/"
>
> the same goes for this one ( yes, I already told it on irc , but I rest my
> case, this is not gonna
> help in the futur to have a readable system, much like the bunch of symlink
> on mandriva cluster
> created just by pure lazyness ).

This 'g' here is only relevant to web developers that use it ('g' is
historically used from mdv time for a short for 'global' static
stuff). Now, yes, it can be renamed in plain 'static' but it requires
several updates before here and there. We can add a README in there to
help for sysadmins if you want to.

Romain