[Mageia-sysadm] LDAP group for translator, delegation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 16:56:41 CET 2011

2011/2/19 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:17:42 +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>
>> 2011/2/19 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After the meeting of i18n, where people asked me to come to discuss tx, I
>>> discovered
>>> that it was not working for people outside of me, due to various acl
>>> issues.
>
> For reference :
> http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-i18n/2011/mageia-i18n.2011-02-17-18.33.html
>
>>> So now this is fixed ( rev 1139 ), there is the question of who should
>>> access transifex.
>>>
>>> Jehane on #mageia-i18N proposed to have the access for each tranlator (
>>> sound good ),
>>> and I proposed to restrict staff/super user privileges to team leader. (
>>> do not know yet
>>> what it mean for transifex ).
>>>
>>> First question :
>>>
>>> Should we have 1 big group for that, and let people manage the various
>>> subteams outside
>>> of ldap, or have 1 group per language ?
>>>
>>> 1 big group is easier, and we can delegate the management to 1/2 person (
>>> ie
>>> i18n team leader ).
>>>
>>> Several group is IMHO more scalable, but this requires more work on our
>>> side. And this will not
>>> map to permission on tx and the blog, among others.
>>
>> 1 big group will surely mean less work for all involved, it also means
>> more discipline for the translators/ language team leaders. :)
>
> Yes, and I am not sure it is wise to ask more discipline on more poeople to
> be a good idea.
> We should not impose too much burden on sysadmin for sure, but neither
> should we on
> others, especially for very small team.
>
>> If I understand previous discussions correctly this has nothing to do
>> with the commit permissions (pushing translated files to svn).
>
> For the moment, the permission on tx are linked to the right to commit on
> svn, but
> this was mainly for testing purpose and lack of pbetter proposal than
> anything.
>
> For efficiency reason, we could try to find something that automatically
> make team leader able
> to write to svn. But I see no easy way to do it ( I see complex way on the
> other hand ).
>
>> For safety reasons (bus error) I suggest to go for 2 person management.
>
> Yup. We can just set both of the owner of the group.

All this shows that we need a testing phase/stage to try out options
(first the easiest for all, then if this does not work as wanted, go
to more complex solutions)

We should take our time and be careful (like we go about the
distribution itself). Mistakes we make now may be hard to correct
later.

So, if the work for the distribution demands action of the translators
before we find a suitable solution with tx we should use the
"traditional" way in the meantime:
 - anonymous checkout from svn for all
 - work coordination within the language mailing lists
 - proofreading either by sending the po file to the language ml or in piratepad
 - finishing and committing to svn by the language team leaders (or
appointed committers for that language)

WDYT?

--
wobo