[Mageia-sysadm] Wiki setup

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 09:31:04 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:07, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 00:24 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>> The question is, do we need to plan today for this kind of scaling issue?
>
> I do not think, but on the other hand, it may much easier now that
> later. And well, even if there is lots of ram on alamut, I wonder what
> would happen if we do have a crash ( ie, would we be able to cope with
> the load spread on other server in case of crash ).
>
> We do not intend to have a crash, and so far, i think we would be mostly
> safe ( once we do have a backup server ), but it is not to me to remind
> the fate of Mandriva servers :/

Yep. But we might then better have some sort of proxy with a set of
servers behind to distribute the requests to.

If en.wiki.mageia.org was to crash, for instance, ok,
fr.wiki.mageia.org (and others) could be still online, but that
wouldn't help that en.wiki would be down nonetheless. If we had a
security issue on one wiki, all wiki sharing the same codebase, the
issue would be everywhere anyway.

If we had wiki1.mageia.org, wiki2.mageia, etc. and a proxy in front,
that would allow to distribute load and manage server crash (and
adding/replacing one server could be less troublesome regarding
service avaibility). And there are probably other options too.

>> That would be a wiki team (that is a mix of i18n and doc team I
>> guess?). Against a specific policy (like, having a sufficient list of
>> involved-enough people to take care of a newly open wiki locale).
>
> Yup, so that should be decided ( not right now, but taken care if
> possible before announcing the wiki ).
>
> Just also to be sure, we do not plan for any specific complex acl ?
> ( IMHO, we should try to avoid, and if not possible, use group acl if
> possible, and in last ressort, login based acl to avoid duplication ).

Not at this time.

>> > Do we ever plan to have wiki not linked to language content ? ( like per
>> > team wiki, or that will be section on the english one ? )
>>
>> I did not understand this one. :)
>
> Ie, there will be only wiki/en, wiki/de, wiki/pt ?
>
> No wiki/team/sysadmin/ , or something like that, or per project wiki if
> any ?

Not at this time, but can not totally rule this out in the future (I
don't see a capacity/need to do this before at least 1 year).

> Good, so that mean that there is only 1 wiki team, and not several one
> ( like it was at Mandriva (or at least, like i thought it was)).

To my knowledge, on the technical side, there was a single set of
people. On the content side, there was about one "team" (ranging from
0 to several people) per locale.

> I assume that this will be handled like i18n ?

With a single team to coordinate the platform for everyone? Yes.

Cheers,

Romain