[Mageia-sysadm] Starting packages import in Mageia svn

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:41:59 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 17:32, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>
>> On 11 January 2011 18:01, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
>> > After thinking more about this, I think I agree that it would be much
>> > better to run it on alamut. Especially if using a SQL database for
>> > packages status.
>> >
>> > Maybe once BS is ready, we can work on updating tools to use a database,
>> > and migrate the web interface on alamut at that time ?
>>
>> That sounds like a the way to go
>
> Actually after talking with blino, he thinks using a database for
> packages status is not such a good idea :
>
> "we don't need a database, that will only make everything more complex
> for little advantage..."
>
> One advantage is that it's easier to access from an other host (better
> than nfs export I think). But I don't know if that's enough.

The main difference is that you lose ability to use info in anything
not able to talk to the db (like a shell script)
Also any manual intervention from admins will need an interface or
doing some sql instead of using rm

If someone volunteers to patch iurt for that, why not, but I think
it's overkill to have a db to store a few items at a time