[Mageia-sysadm] Starting packages import in Mageia svn

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Wed Jan 12 01:26:23 CET 2011

Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> writes:

> Easier to sort, easier to do select ( like showing just the package of a
> maintainer without selecting the whole listing of rpm, and doig lots of
> I/O )
>
> It would spread the load amongst server (I/O wise again), it would use a
> proper indexing system, as the main part of the job of the status page
> is to find the list of job by getting all inodes from some predefined
> directory.

I'm not sure the current way requires too much I/O, if the main BS
interface just lists the contents of the ~schedbot/uploads/ directories.
It's what urli + emi are doing as well, and it's extremly likely to be
cached when the BS interface tries to browser the tree.

Check for yourself at http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/

Sure, a db is certainly more efficient, but more complex to code, and
prone to inconsistencies between the db state and tree state.

--
Olivier Blin - blino