[Mageia-sysadm] valstar in 32 bits

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 31 01:12:53 CET 2011

Hi,

as people may have seen, valstar complained about :

No package named libsasl2-plug-anonymous

I tried to remove all sources ( as we had many useless source
in /var/lib/urpmi ), without success. And when trying to add them back,
urpmi.addmedia --distrib  gave me only Main32 and Main32 updates.

After looking, it seems that kernel was reporting to be 32 bits :
[root at valstar ~]# uname -a
Linux valstar.mageia.org 2.6.33.7-server-2.2mnb #1 SMP Fri Dec 10
00:37:20 EET 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Despites being a 64 bits server, with 64 bits software, urpmi was too
following what the kernel said.

I figured out that puppet and openssh were running in some 32 bits mode.
So I used "linux64 bash", restart puppet and openssh, and so uname was
fixed.

This leave 2 questions :
1) how did we end to this state ?
2) where does the numerous urpmi sources come from ( I removed, but this
was some contribs virtual stuff )