[Mageia-sysadm] Questions about puppet config

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Sat Jul 30 01:36:30 CEST 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, sebelee at free.fr wrote:

> 2) In the same idea, after reading the beginning of the book "Pro Puppet", the author describes a sort of Best Pratice for managing puppet's module.
>
> The book extract :
> << In Listing 2-2, we created a functional structure by dividing the components of the service we're managing into functional domains: things to be installed, things to be configured and things to be executed or run. >>
>
> He also split a module in 3 files and include all of them into init.pp
> - manifests/install.pp
> - manifests/config.pp
> - manifests/service.pp

I don't think our modules are so big that we need to split them in
different files, it's easier to have everything in one file. But if we
want to split some of them, I wouldn't split them like this, rather by
functionalities. What is the use of separating packages install,
configuration and services ?

Sometimes we also have subclasses, installing different packages, config
files or services. So that would mean splitting each subclass for
install, config, and services too ?