[Mageia-sysadm] Bittorrent setup planning proposal

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:21:01 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 21:57, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:31:31 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> Michael Scherer skrev 15.2.2011 14:33:
>
>>> - who is volunteer for this ?
>>> being volunteer mean :
>>> - setting the bt server with puppet ( and so deciding what to use server
>>> side, robust, free software, etc, etc )

Not sure I can help in the puppet server but ... may I help in some other way?

>> Do we know what mdv used ?
>
> I do not know, but we can ask either to sysadmin from n-1 time ( benjamin
> jorand ), or n-2  ( nicolas chipaux ). I am not sure there is some much choice.

AFAIK, there was nothing very exceptionnal, but we had a set of public
and private torrents. Mix of bittorrent and bittornado packages, at
one time at least. And I think we were using bittorrent package and it
did its job.

Here the setup will be way simpler as it is just to deliver public
torrents out of a source file repository; apart from setting up the
server, most of the job will be to cleanly automate the submission of
new files to spread.

>>> - make sure that hosters are ok with the traffic that it will generate
>>>    they will all be ok IMHO, but it is better to warn them,
>>> communication cannot do much harm.
>>
>> Do the hosters speak/read/write english?
>
> I assume yes. But we can ask to raphael ( rapsys ).

Got an answer?

>>> - recruit a team of people to seed and find a way to distribute them
>>> the .torrent, in a open fashion
>>>

>> Do we use rabbit for the initial distribution too ?
>> (should we do rsync access for initial fetch for initial seeders ?)
>
> Is it needed ? I think we can let them use bittorrent and ask them to keep
> the torrent client
> running. If we distribute the torrent at the same time that we announce the
> distribution,
> I think it will be ok, provided early seeders have good enough connexion.

How do we expect to manage earlyseeders? Would be cool if we can
integrate this in waves (sending an invite to a set of 10, 50, 100,
200 then 500 people, then more or open). Or do we need earlyseeders at
all at this point?

>> And what kind of "requirements" do we have?
>> meaning available bw, torrent running for atleast xx days, and so on...
>
> I think we can take every possible people, provided they are volunteer. But
> we can give guidelines,
> like "try to distribute iso where there is few people seeding" ?

Yes and maybe encourage people on some areas (we have no mirror in
west USA and South America, for instance)?

Speaking of torrents, not totally related, but interesting, I found
this https://github.com/lg/murder "Large scale server deploys using
BitTorrent and the BitTornado library".

Romain