[Mageia-sysadm] Alpha 2 on mirrors

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 15 13:22:59 CET 2011

Hi,

ennael asked me to sync the iso on the main mirror, from rabbit to
valstar.

Here is the quick procedure I followed :
- warn on irc
- stop puppet
- disable rsync using xinetd configuration
- reload xinetd

Using scp and screen on rabbit, I copied them
to /distrib/mirror/iso/cauldron/
This took around 20 minutes.

We should have done sub directory ( alpha1, alpha2 ), but i guess that
would be for next developpement cycle. We could have moved, but this
would have likely annoyed mirrors admin, and so it was quickly agreed
that we didn't have time to ask for opinion, so we took the safest
route, do not move stuff around.

Then after a quick chat, we decided to remove old isos from mirror, but
keep them on valstar for now. I moved everything in /idstrib/old_isos/,
if needed ( test regression ).

- check every iso with md5sum
- restarted puppet
- apply puppet configuration
- warn on irc that stuff are back again

So, what could we improve :
- write a more complete documentation, ie a SOP
and take in account the announce part too, etc

- place the documentation elsewhere than on a mail :)

- communicate better with mirrors maintainers
  -> create a list, what about "mirrors-announce at ml" ?

- discuss and agree on what do we keep, for how long, for iso.
anne told that on mdv, the iso was N and N-1. Purpose is likely
regression testing, so that would be something nice to have IMHO.

- do the bittorrent stuff that was planned
( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-sysadm/2011-February/002750.html )

If people have a remark, do not hesitate.