[Mageia-sysadm] VMs installation

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Mar 30 12:13:29 CEST 2011

As asked by packagers last week during packager meeting
( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-dev/2011/mageia-dev.2011-03-23-20.02.log.html#l-201 ), I am installing 6 vms ( 32/64, kde/gnome/lxde ) on rabbit to test upgrade.

In the process, I have added various stuff to the libvirt module, like :
- a helper to declare storage pool ( soon to be replicated for network,
for pxe integration )
- a helper to download boot.iso or others files for distribution net
installation.

While this may seem overkill, I faced the issue on zarb.org yesterday
with our tftp server not being fully populated. So I tried to automate
this as much as possible for the future. See
libvirtd::download::netboot_images usage in nodes.pp

I have created a python script to add the vm automatically, I attach it
here for those that are interested ( and for distributed backup ). In
the future, this could be used to create vm, start them with pxe and
have them ready to be used for test ( be it upgrade test, iso test or
anything ).

And I am planning ( well, writing on the whiteboard ) on adding tftp,
pxe etc to puppet so we can have automated installation, as VMs were
installed by hand.