[Mageia-sysadm] ML request for QAteam

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Mar 31 20:47:39 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 31 mars 2011 à 17:41 +0200, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:02, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > For the name, well, I am not much satisfied with qateam, as I find this
> > to be quite non descriptive for people who are not previous mandriva
> > people ( ie for almost everybody except a few ).
> > So I am sure that we can find a better and more descriptive name, or at
> > least try to find a better one.
>
> qateam => QA team, as there's one in the project? (such as could be
> webteam@, secteam@, commteam@, etc.?
>
> I would find this more descriptive as to the purpose/role of the list
> (team list) than just qa@, web@, security@ which would be, in turn,
> more descriptive of a contact email address.

I would also find more descriptive the purpose rather than the group
name. For example, -dev instead of packagersteam@, ie focused on
activity ( developping ) rather than the team naming ( packagers ). This
would be imho be clearer if we want to foster cross team activities.

> Or maybe qa-team at ml.mageia.org then?

But we do have foo at group.mageia.org for that, to send a email to the
ldap group mga-foo ( which is used to define a team so far for all
others teams ). We could also use team.mageia.org ( but that would make
thing more complex as not not all groups are a team ).

I think we can all agree that the canonical list of member of a team is
in a ldap group for all teams ( because that's what we did so far for
web application integration, catdap integration, sympa integration,
epoll integration, etc ).

So if the qa team is the list of people in the ldap group mga-qa,
it is confusing to refer to a 2nd group ( the list of people who
subscribed to the ml, and who would be ) as qateam.

> (yes, it comes out too from years of practice of this naming scheme at
> Mandriva where, well, these were internal list names/aliases - but
> here it would be public as team's lists are :-p ).

On mandriva qateam alias/ml, who was behind  ?

While I was not here so I am maybe wrong, I suspect the aliases matched
exactly the internal organisation.

Here, I do not know exactly because Damien ask for a public list, and to
me that mean a list were anybody can subscribe and post, but maybe he
mean a list that anybody can read ( something like council ).

So in the hypothesis that the list is not restricted to members of the
team, the name would be misleading.

If the list is restricted, i think we would need a unrestricted list.
( hence another name would be chose ).

I would also add that it seems that people on the wiki
( http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=qateam ) have a different view of
QA than what is written as a description ( and the purpose is the same
as others team like debian one  http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/
and ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/ ).

And the ratio of people saying "automation tool" vs "test packages" on
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=qateam is quite clear ( 1 people for
automation, 53 for "testing" ).

So while the plan for qateam is also to do automation ( and I have been
working on making easy to install virtual machines also for that this
night ), I think that most people on the wiki page are here to do tests.

Moreover, those historically interested in QA ( such as me see
http://www.zarb.org/~misc/slides/cooker.sxi, nanar, pterjan, etc ) will
likely discuss the matter either on -dev ( for feedback on technical
level ) and then on -sysadmin ( for deployment ). I do not think a 3rd
list would bring much.

So maybe the list name should reflect more closely the activity ?
Something like distribution-testers at ml ( or a shorter name like
distro-test@ ) would be a more suitable ?

I add distribution because if we decide to do more than a distribution,
this would be clearer in the long run.

Maybe I am also thinking too much of course.